Vivace® Depth Ranges (0.5mm – 3.5mm)
Which depths treat which area?
- Pore size, skin texture, fine lines, minor scarring, and crepe skin can be treated with a shallow needle depth (approximately 0.6mm – 1.0mm).
- Fine lines and scarring may be treated with a medium needle depth (approximately 1.0 mm – 2.0 mm).
- Deep acne scarring, surgical and deeper scars, wrinkles, pore size and skin texture can be treated with the deepest needle depth (approximately 1.5mm – 2.5mm depending on how thick the skin is).
Ideally, we want to the deepest pass first. The second pass should be more superficial. In the shallow areas, it is recommended to do a 1.0mm and then do 0.8mm. In the deeper areas, it is recommended to do a 2.0mm and then do 1.5mm.
There are three phases to the wound-repair process triggered by radio frequency (RF) microneedling:
- Phase I: Inflammation. Piercing the skin triggers your immune system to disinfect the wounds, remove debris, increase blood flow, and begin to create new tissue.
- Phase II: Proliferation. The wound is rebuilt with new granulation cells, which are part of the extracellular matrix. Additionally, a new network of blood vessels develops.
- Phase III: Remodeling. The wound is replaced with new dermal tissues and blood vessels.
In a study of sixty patients with acne scarring, the patients had a series of three RF microneedling treatments. The patients resulted in a 31 percent improvement in skin texture with no discoloration of the skin.
Below are the recommended depths by the area.
Sources: Christine Vannelli, MSN, MHA, RN – Director of Clinical Training at Aesthetics Biomedical® Inc. & Marie Tice, RN, CLT – Clinical Nurse Trainer at Aesthetics Biomedical® Inc.
Disclaimer: The Vivace® Guidelines are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician, medical director, or qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. All suggested treatment settings are for suggested use only.